I've reinstalled windows on my PC, going to Windows 10. Here's a list of things to do on a new install:
- Expand the explorer 'ribbon' to set the 'View' properties on your local drive. This is needed if you want to see file extensions.
- Installed Visual Studio 2015
- Installed Sys Internals Process Monitor.
- Installed git for windows, which comes with the great git bash, that lets you do UNIX on windows.
- Set Google as Default Search.
- Using a git shell, make a new RSA key using 'ssh-keygen.exe -t rsa' command. Paste the public key in GitHub.com site's settings.
- Set privacy options. Settings -> Update & security -> Advanced Options -> Privacy Settings. Switch everything off here. Note that windows will sometimes set them all back 'on' after a windows update. Sneaky if you ask me.