Friday, October 27, 2017

Pitting Profilers against each other.

In the past, I have been using Remotery, an in-app profiler. I recently became aware of Minitrace, a similar app. So I decided to compare results.

The good news is that when my ray tracer is working in single-threaded mode, the results are in agreement. 6ms or so is spent on uploading the image as texture to OpenGL. The rest of the time is spent rendering scanlines.

Minitrace:
Remotery:

I can also run my app in multi-threaded mode. The scanlines are then rendered in 100 work batches. The batches are processed by four worker threads, that are alive during the lifetime of the app.

Minitrace:
Remotery:

The Minitrace run shows that the worker threads were fully busy during the generation of the image. Sometimes, I see a chunk that take a lot more time (> x10) than normal, which made me doubt the measurement. This was the reason I decided to compare to Remotery. However, now I no longer think this is a bad measurement. One of the worker-threads probably got pre-empted by the OS or something.

The Remotery run, on the other hand, seems to be missing data? Could it be a race-condition between worker threads trying to record events? I'll be creating a github issue, but wrote this blog post first, so that the images are hosted.

OS: 64bit Ubuntu Linux.
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz
Both Minitrace and Remotery latest version from github as of oct27, 2017.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bram,
    I love playing your games, especially SWAAG and The Little plane that could. They are really fun and entertaining. Great Job! I am a young developer (15) as well, and keen on making a similar game to the little plane that could. I hope you could help me. Here are a few questions about it:
    1. Did you use a game engine to make it. If so, which one. I'm currently using Unity3D.
    2. How did you get the physics of the plane to feel so right. I've been trying to "copy" them. Do you apply forces to the plane (lift, thrust, drag and gravity). And if so HOW???. I've searched the internet thoroughly, but have not found anything to help me. How should I approach this.

    If you want to contact me my email is: j.jantschulev@gmail.com

    Thank you very much
    Jordan

    ReplyDelete